Wednesday 2 March 2011

Extruder

Quick post to show off the extruder nozzle I machined!

Brass M6 nut for comparison

0.508mm hole!
The process of making it:

  1. Start with a length of 10mm brass rod
  2. Using this as a guide I machined (on a hobby lathe) the outer dimentions
  3. Using a pin vice to hold the tiny drill bit (number 76 twist drill bit), and a jacobs chuck to hold the pin vice i drilled the hole to a depth of around 3-4mm. I set the lathe to the fastest it would go.. which was around 900 RPM.
  4. I then flip the brass around in the clamp and drill out the inside diameters 
  5. I then tapped the external and internal threads (M6 external, M8 internal)

2 comments:

  1. What tool/rpm did you drill the hole with?

    Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrew,

    Ive edited the post above to briefly mention the manufacturing process.

    ReplyDelete